It’s okay to fall down and lose your spark. Just make sure that when you get back up, you rise the whole damn fire! – Colette Werden
Shop this look!
Similar Faux Fur Coat – Dennis Basso
After Dusk Laced Heeled Boots – Backyard shoes
Hoop Earrings – Primark
Every year I hope it snows! Luckily for me, three months to the end of my degree it snowed! No NOT just politely but in plenty.
I was so excited for the first two days. It was really beautiful to look at but now I’m over it. I could go another 10 years without experiencing the snow and be just fine.
I’m over the winter blues…
Every winter I find myself in a funk where my emotions and energy levels stay low. All I want to do is stay in bed all day. On the rare occasions I leave the house, I wear the dullest clothes in my closet. I even get upset when I see people dressed in yellow! Like why would you walk around in such bright colours while the atmosphere is sombre?
I digress, here are a few ways I tackle the winter blues.
- A Hug in a cup – nothing warms my heart like a hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream.
- Rhythms and Blues – listening to Daniel Caesar’s voice helps me get in touch with my emotions.
- Meditation – I discovered the Headspace app from Sharon Mundia that schedules a meditation session for me each morning.
- Cuddles – Teddy Jr and Teddy Snr keep me warm at night.
- Deep conversations with family and friends.
- Self-Care – Putting more effort into taking care of myself as a woman. Embracing my femininity makes me feel so damn good.
- Sharing on this platform with you enables me to vent. This is my safe space.
- Believing the funk will pass and the sun will shine.
- A Blue Dennis Basso faux fur coat that keeps me warm.
I have had this coat since I joined university but it has never really gotten cold enough for me to wear it. The snowy days provided me the opportunity to rock the coat without looking like a dam fool. I actually inherited the coat from my sister and I must say the quality is great considering that she got it very many years ago.
Shout out to my favourite photographer Stefany Armoni, who braved the negative degrees with me just to get these snow shots. Also, shout out to the Almighty God for protecting me from pneumonia. Considering my toes and legs were literally exposed to the cold! I know! Sorry mum but I figured that this was probably the only chance I’d get to shoot in the snow or in this coat.
In the process of shooting, I may have ruined my favourite heel boots. Ask me why I thought it would be a good idea to where heeled boots in the snow? Anyway we live and we learn plus I’m hoping that some cobbler in Nairobi can fix them. As you already know by now in Wakanda everything is fixable.
I know I’ve been missing for a while now, it’s just the winter blues! I’ll be back once it comes to pass. I promise to pop in once in a while.
Till next time,
Stay warm Rafikis!